A Dose of Self –Esteem to Lower the Achievement Gap
Can anyone relate to the movie I Don’t Know How She Does It? In the movie they highlight the many directions working moms are pulled. Best line in the film for me: A mom’s mind is like “the control tower of O’Hare airport”. And -I -mean. After finding my robe and bumping around in the dark for something to warm my feet, and a cup of coffee I start plotting out who needs what, when, where and how:
- Do we have bread for sandwiches?
- Do we have meat for sandwiches?
- Did I ask to leave early on Wednesday for the kid’s doctor’s appointments?
- Is today meatloaf day?
- Did I wash the gym clothes for kids?
- Do the kids have ANYTHING green for ‘green’ day at school?
- What will we eat..Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, ….?
- Do I have papers graded for class?
- Haircuts and beauty shop time, when will we fit that in?
- Are motivated to take care of themselves
- Persistent in their striving towards the fulfillment of personal goals and aspirations
How do you promote self-esteem with your kids at home?