Explaining Racism to My Children: I’d Almost Rather Explain Where Babies Come From
How do you explain racism to children? Most times I don’t mind the kiddos asking me questions. There are those times when I do feel like ‘Enough with the questions already!’, but most times I am ready and willing to answer. There are a few questions, however, I wish I could avoid answering. Like:
- Where do babies come from (because eventually they will realize they came from the same place)?
- Where do people go after they die (because I have no real proof… truth be told my answer is just pure speculation)?
- Why is there racism (because the answer is so ridiculous that they will think I am making it up)?
- I explained that all folk need to be educated, about all things and this will help to end racism. The good news is that there are parents and education change makers who are doing their best to make sure this is possible.
- I explained that there are such people as doctors who try to fix the problems in society (aka social scientists) and that they do tons of research to bring the problems and solutions to light.
- There are people who look at injustices and march right up to the offenders ‘front door’ to confront them on unjust practices.
- There are people who fight in the courtroom as lawyers and judges to make sure everyone is treated fairly and that issues like this are not ignored. I told him that not too long ago what happened in Charleston would have been celebrated but this time it was not!
How do you explain racism to children?