Can’t Take the Pollen? Try Family Fun inside this Weekend
It’s finally time for spring! If outside your window looks anything like mine there is a dust storm of pollen swirling through the air. We are going to try and keep the activities confined to the house until we get a good shower of rain. So the kiddos won’t be on a 24 hours tv or Kindle kick we will try one of these family fun activities!
Create a Reading Nook
Add some pillows to this tent and a great book and this would be so comfy to read in! (from amazon.com)
|Add this canopy to a…(from rakuten.com)||
...bean bag and it becomes a perfect reading nook (from potterybarn.com)
|hanging chair can be a great reading nook in a tween or teens room! (from interiorredesignseminar.com)||reading nook big enough for the entire family to enjoy! (from desgnsponge.com)|
- Choose a book in the house to help create a theme (i.e. haunted houses, sci-fi, and friendships)
- Have a short quiz for the kids/tweens/teens to answer after reading the book.
- Change the room into movie magic
- Order the movie that matched the book on Netflix or Amazon Instant Video
Travel the World
- Have the kiddos plot out places to travel on a map.
- Have them write down the many cities, states and countries they will visit.
- Have them to think about and look up on the internet what will they need: a passport, money, book for translating, time zone changes
Become a Mad Scientist
Lift an Ice Cube with String Experiment (from spoonful.com)What you'll need
- Glass of water
- Submerge an ice cube in a glass of water for a second or two. Let it float to the top.
- Place one end of a length of string on top of the ice cube and sprinkle a little salt over it. Count to 5.
- Pick up the loose end of the string. The ice will lift right out of the glass!
- What do you think made the string stick to the ice?
- Did the ice melt in the water or remain the same temperature once you put the salt in?
- How does this experiment explain why people spread salt on the road before and after it snows?
Dancing with the Family
- Have a Dancing with the Family contest.
- Pair siblings with parent or children against parents.
- Call over grandparents, aunts and uncles to do the judging.
- Kids/tweens/teens get to choose their own music (Motown, Jazz, Hip Hop, Neo-Soul etc.)
- Make rules: i.e. dance routine needs to be at least 2 minutes, at least one twirl and the running man (you will probably have to explain what the running man is..).