Great Teachers and Mentors are Lottery Wins!
Have you ever thought about winning the lottery? From time to time I have chipped in with others hoping to cash in on some major dollars. My mama says that playing the lottery is a waste of time. Perhaps. But from a ‘Why not?” and “What if..?” point of view I have to admit it would feel nice to see and hear my name amidst dropping rainbow-colored balloons and a resounding game show ‘Ding, Ding, Ding!”. Who has not thought about receiving a lump of some good ole’ fashion financial privilege to change your life or the lives of the ones you love? I asked my husband how he thought winning the lottery might change our life after being glued to a marathon of TLC’s The Lottery Changed My Life one weekend. We both took time to consider the unnecessary junk we’d buy, but overall ended up imagining using our fictitious lottery wins to make our children’s future better. The chances are 1 in 175,223,510 to win a major life changing lottery like Powerball. I would have had better odds at being born with 11 fingers or toes, or being selected for the Pro’s. But, I figure that neither I nor my family is out of luck. In fact, far from it. I am convinced that there are other ‘wins’ that can have lottery changing effects. For example:
- Receiving a scholarship/fellowship/internship – Ding, Ding, Ding!
- Getting accepted into the school of your (or your child’s) choice – Ding, Ding, Ding!
- Coming into contact with a great teacher or mentor – Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding!
- Let me know what I didn’t know, when I needed to know it
- Connected me with others who could help me
- Encouraged and nurtured me
- Looked out for me in ways that my parents, relatives or true friends would