Let Me Count the Ways Girls Can Become Comfortable with Math
Don’t you think that it’s time for more girls to become comfortable with math? Well, if the solution is like anything else perhaps it requires practice, practice, practice. I’m not talking about boring ole’ math worksheets, nooooo. I am talking about a little real world math to spark math empowerment. Check out these math activities and start letting your daughter get comfortable with those digits – that is if she isn’t already!
High and Middle School
First, have your tween or teen name:
- three benefits to women of equal pay
- three benefits to men/families of equal pay for women
- three reasons that explain why women workers, as women, still face discrimination and unequal pay in the workplace
- Calculate the annual earning figures from the weekly figures given. Simply have them multiply the weekly amount by 52 (52 weeks in a year)
- Graph the differences in pay for men and women. What do they see?
- Bonus: Have your teen genius calculate how long it will take to close the gender gap. Some say it could take as long as 124 years. Do they believe these calculations to be true???
First explain that sometimes people (and their accomplishments) are commemorated by putting their face on a stamp. Second, have your whiz kid visit this site to take a look at people on American post stamps.
- Create a chart looking at the men vs women on postage stamps.
- Do they think there are more men than women? Why?
Lastly, you can have your whiz kid check out this slideshow of women on stamps. Bonus!! It includes their accomplishments!
Here’s to Closing the Achievement Gap!