Barbecue/Baked Chicken and Baked Sweet Potato
It may be summer time, but we don’t always have time to pull out the grill when the taste buds call for it. Normally I try to avoid using the oven on hot summer days, but for the taste of crispy barbecue chicken I’ll make the sacrifice. My mama put me on to the benefits of using the broil option on my stove. If done correctly you can get some amazingly tasty and crispy chicken. My kiddos are a fan of yams, me….not so much. But I found that these sweet baked potatoes were not only a healthier version to greasy fries but were super yummy when I added butter, cinnamon and brown sugar. Score!
Happy and healthy eating to you and the family!
Servings: 2 grown people, 1 teen and 2 little people. Prep Time: 20 mins (Realistically, with kids around maybe 30 mins) Cook Time: 45 mins -1 hour (Winner! You can walk away and do other things while this bakes in the oven) Total Time: 1.5 hours
Ingredients Baked/Barbecue Chicken:
2 packs of drummettes or wingettes (25-30 pieces) Tony Chachere’s Famous Creole Seasoning Onion powder Lemon pepper Garlic salt Or Seasonings of choice Cooking spray
Directions Barbecue/Baked Chicken:
- Preheat oven to low broil.
- Wrap broiling pan in foil. Spray wire rack with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Clean and season chicken.
- Place chicken on wire rack and into preheated oven.
- Turn chicken after thirty minutes.
- Remove from oven after another thirty minutes.
- Turn oven to hi broil.
- Brush chicken with barbecue sauce or butter if you want to keep chicken plain.
- Place back into oven on hi broil – WATCH Carefully for the next 2-5 minutes (depending on your oven).
- Take out of oven when chicken reaches desired crispiness.
Ingredients Baked Sweet Potato:
5 medium sized sweet potatoes 5 pats of butter Cinnamon Brown sugar
Directions Sweet Baked Potato:
- Preheat oven (I used a toaster oven) to 400 degrees.
- Scrub sweet potatoes clean.
- Poke holes in sweet potatoes with fork.
- Line pan with foil and place potatoes on pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
What Are We Eating Wednesday from PTSY, supporting children in mind AND body!