Chicken and Bacon Quesadillas & Spanish Rice – Perfect for Your College Student
If I remember college correctly, one is short on time and in general not concerned about eating their veggies. Here is a quick and simple recipe that either your home-cooked challenged college student can make on their own, or you can send with them as they make their way back after spring break. If you are thinking about this for a family meal, word to the wise, our youngest wasn’t feeling the rice or the ‘busy’ quesadilla. The other two and the hubby however ate it for dinner, the next day for a snack after school and later during the weekend for lunch!
First the Facts: How many will this feed?
Servings: 2 grown people, 1 teen and 2 little people. Prep Time: 15 mins (Realistically, with kids around maybe 30 mins) Cook Time: 25-30 mins Total Time: Maybe 45 mins to an 1 hour (Realistically, maybe 1 hour with kids around) First I grilled the onions, pepper, garlic and mushrooms with butter and olive oil. I then threw the seasoned chicken on the grill. Next I chopped the grilled chicken into slices and then readied the burrito for the grilled onions, green peppers and mushroom mix. I sprinkled a little turkey bacon and... And then snuck on a little spinach before I put on the cheese. (shhhh.) After cheesed it up really well I added the loaded side to the grill first and then placed on the top. I also placed a lid on the quesadilla to ensure even melting. I would advise you to wait until the cheese has melted pretty good before you flip. If not you will have a mess (forgot to take a picture of that). What do you need to make this treat?
- 8 Burritos (4 really big burritos)
- 4 Tbls butter
- ½ cup onions
- ¼ cup mushrooms
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 3 strips of turkey bacon
- 3 organic chicken breasts (cut in half if they are thick, if not you may need 6 small ones
- More butter/olive oil for grilling
- Tony Chachere’s Famous Creole Seasoning (I absolutely cannot cook without)
- Garlic powder
- Onion pepper
- Lemon pepper
- Or whatever seasoning of your choice
Spanish riceI decided to add some smoked turkey sausage to our rice and they liked it. What do you need to make this treat? 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter 1 onion 1 clove of garlic 2 cups of white rice 3 cups organic chicken stock 1 heaping tablespoon organic tomato paste 1 teaspoon salt Directions:
- Season chicken breast (as you choose)
- Grill onions, pepper, garlic and mushrooms with butter and olive oil.
- Place turkey bacon in oven at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes (depending on your oven)
- Grill chicken breasts (I sliced my chicken breasts in half)
- Start rice while chicken is grilling
- In a pot melt butter then add chicken stock and tomato paste
- Let rice sauce simmer for 20-25 mins.
- Slice grilled chicken and put together your quesadillas to suit your family’s needs
Hope you enjoy!